Toolkit for Risk Communication
As you click through the tutorial, you will find ways to address the problems noted above. Essentially, the recommendations address these issues in these ways:
▪ writing a message that provides the same information but in everyday language,
▪ presenting the bulletin in a format (e.g., using color, images, etc.) that catches people's attention,
▪ designing the communication so that people recognize the coming event is out of the ordinary,
▪ creating messages that address each region or locality directly,
▪ ensuring that the communication has the necessary elements of a good message, including actions for local officials, residents, and businesses to take.
Who is the audience for this resource? As hinted at earlier, this is meant for everyone: national weather agency officials, local agency management and staff, community residents, schoolchildren, and others.